Oh my goodness it’s February all ready! I hope you all had a great weekend. This week is Children’s Mental Health week and Key Stage One will be celebrating this with a whole day of well-being activities on Wednesday. Look out for that! I hope you enjoyed our quizzes last Friday. if you did, let me know and we can do more of them. I was also impressed with what you wanted to happen to the wolf from the Three Little Pigs stories. By an overwhelming majority you have decided he is guilty so he has headed off to Fairyland Prison. Thank-you too for all of your amazing responses to the Big Garden Bird Watch. So many of you were lucky enough to see robins. We will use some of the data collected in our maths work later in the week. Class 2 star speller for last week is Grace MP… so this sticker is for you. Well done Grace.

I have added a vote note to Seesaw for this week’s brain break. Your choices are:

1. Rockachickaboom (close runner-up last week)
  2. Koo Koo Kanga Roo – Pop See Ko
  3. Banana Banana Meatball

Let’s see what’s on the plan for today.

English – Continuing with the Three Little Pigs – or are we?

Spelling – new spelling pattern /zh/ sound spelt as ‘s’

Maths – continuing our Oak Academy work on telling the time

Theme – Learning about day and night, orbits and the earth’s rotation

English – Last week we considered three different versions of the story of the Three Little Pigs and you really had to think about whether the wolf is good or bad and whether he is innocent or guilty. Your work was really detailed and focussed so keep it up for this week. We are going to turn the traditional tale on its head this week and today I am reading you the story of ‘The Three Wolves and the Big, Bad Pig’. When you’ve watched the clip, your task is to compare today’s story with the traditional tale of the Three Little Pigs and say what is the same in both stories and what is different. There is a template on Seesaw if you want to use it or just work in your homework book. For example, under things that are the same, one of the things that you could put is that there is a wolf in each story.

Spelling – Our new spelling pattern for this week is the sound /zh/ spelt with an ‘s’. Watch the video clip as I go through this week’s spellings with you. I have modified the game at the end as the original one doesn’t work well if I can’t see you. There is also a template on Seesaw for the activity but the final challenge should be completed with pencil and paper as it is also to help with your handwriting practice.

Maths – Our third lesson on time. Apologies that I mixed up the links last week, let’s hope I manage to get it right this week! Today we are very definitely looking at quarter past on an analogue clock. (Please feel free to recap the year one objective of half-past first if you feel it is needed). As well as paper and a pencil, you will need to get an analogue clock (one with a clock face and hands) before you start the lesson.

https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/identifying-quarter-past-on-an-analogue-clock-68rp8e

and the exit quiz

https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/identifying-quarter-past-on-an-analogue-clock-68rp8e?step=4&activity=exit_quiz

I always remind the children in class that the hour hand is the shortest one as it is the shortest word and minute hand is the longest hand as minute is the longest word. I will also add some analogue clock templates to Seesaw for additional practice at recording half-past and quarter past times. If you want to have a go at making your own analogue clock to practise telling the time, click on the link https://www.muminthemadhouse.com/make-paper-plate-clock/

Theme – We will start this session with lesson 3 from oak Academy. This week you will be learning about how the earth orbits and rotates. This also links to our maths work on time and number of hours in a day. Have you got your pencil and paper ready? If you also have a globe, or any sort of ball and also a small desk lamp or torch, you can join in with the activity on screen, but if not, it is fine to just watch.

https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/how-does-the-earth-orbit-and-rotate-c4tpcd

Then you can complete the Day and Night sheet. (template on Seesaw or download here).

I have also added a 2do on Purple Mash called Movement of the Earth where you can recap what you have learnt and write your own explanation if you choose to.

Why not try to role-play the earth, sun and moon rotation? You will need three people in total.

I’ve got two different space themed craft activities for you that you can do at home at any time. If you do choose to do one of these activities, upload some photographs to let me know how you got on. Also, if you do make one of these today, you will be able to use it as part of tomorrow’s science investigation but you can still access tomorrow’s task perfectly well without making it.

Home learning 01.02.21